[EPISODE 3] Integrative Veterinary Medicine in Action with Dr Matt Muir
In this fascinating episode of A Modern Animal, Gabe and Dr Mike are joined by leading Integrative Veterinarian Dr Matthew Muir. Together they will discuss:
- Dr Matt Muir's journey to become an integrative practitioner
- The shift in disease patterns Dr Matt Muir observed his practice and the hypothesis about why this might be taking place
- The 2 groups of pets Dr Matt Muir treats everyday in his practice and what it means for Integrative Veterinary Medicine
- A typical case study with practical applications and treatment plan
- The gut, liver, skin and brain axis
- Adaptogens - what they are and their benefits
"It is undisputed that most pharmaceutical medicine come from herbal medicine or plants to begin with. Ashwagandha KSM-66 is probably the number 1 adaptogen that I like and use the most" Dr Matt Muir
ABOUT OUR GUEST - Dr Matt Muir:
- Integrative Veterinarian and Director at All Natural Vet Care in Sydney
- BVSc/BVetBiol (Hons) MRCVS
- CIVT Certified Herbalist
Matt has been a life-long animal lover and knew from the tender age of 3 that he wanted to become a veterinarian. Fast forward a few years, Dr Matt Muir graduated from Charles Sturt University in 2010 with a double degree in Veterinary Science and Veterinary Biology with first-class Honours when he also completed a one-year field research project on the microbiome and nutrition.
Matt practiced as a mixed animal general practitioner in both Australia and the UK and joined the All Natural Vet Care practice in 2015 where he worked under the mentorship of Dr. Barbara Fougere, one of the pioneers of integrative medicine.
Matt has since completed further studies in Western Herbal Medicine, Chinese Herbal Medicine and Chinese Food therapies, providing integrative medicine consultation to pet parents throughout Australia encompassing conventional, complementary & alternative therapies.
Dr Matt Muir is also the co-founder (Head of Product) of pet food brand / service Lyka. Finally, Matt also volunteers at Taronga Wildlife Hospital and is currently working towards a Masters in Conservation Medicine. We are truely humbled to welcome Dr. Matt Muir to A Modern Animal podcast.