[A Modern Animal Ep9] Scratching the surface of skin & coat conditions with Dr Dani Hoolahan
The skin is the largest organ of the body and carries out many important functions, including serving as a barrier between the animal and the environment.
The general condition of a pet's skin and coat is a good indication of their overall health and unfortunately skin conditions are also very common amongst pets.
We are therefore very excited to be talking to leading Australian Veterinary Dermatologist Dr Dani Hoolahan to learn more about the skin and coat of our pets.
In this practical episode, Gabe (who is flying solo as Dr. Mike is finishing a well-deserved holiday) will discuss key tips to care for, manage and treat the skin and coat of your pet. Specifically they will cover:
- The common skin conditions and issues seen in practice by Vet dermatologists
- How to recognise a healthy skin and coat (and an abnormal skin and coat)
- How to diagnose and treat certain skin conditions
- The connection between skin disease and ear related conditions
- Diet recommendations for skin and coat health
- The different types of skin allergies and how to diagnose them
- The do's and don't of shampooing and washing dogs
- Specific skin conditions in cats
- Top tips for dogs and cats parents
"If you notice a certain level of licking, scratching or chewing with your pet, it is probably abnormal" - Dr Dani Hoolahan
ABOUT OUR GUEST - DR DANI HOOLAHAN :
- ACVD Board Certified Veterinary Dermatologist
Dr Dani graduated from Murdoch University in 2007 with honours. She worked in busy, small animal general practices both in Sydney, Australia and Portland, Oregon before completing a dermatology internship in Perth, Western Australia and then moving to the University of California, Davis to join the dermatology service at the William R. Pritchard Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital as a resident.
She completed her residency in 2013 and became a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Dermatology in the same year. She has worked in busy dermatology referral practice since 2014 and is the founder of the Veterinary Dermatology Clinic.
She is also currently the Chief Veterinary Officer for PetSure (one of the largest Pet Insurance in Australia).
Dani is a proud Pet Parent to Spike, Daisy and Oliver (a trio of Labradors) Lola (a French Bulldog), Ghost (a Lykoi kitten), Hobbes (a domestic shorthair cat), and Fuzzy (a domestic medium hair cat). The fur family keeps getting bigger !
To get in contact with Dr Dani Hoolahan or one of her specialist team members, you can visit the website of her Veterinary Dermatology Clinic - they have clinics throughout NSW, ACT, VIC and TAS.